Sunday, November 24, 2013

On the Turning Away

"It's a sin that somehow, light is changing to shadow
And casting its shroud over all we have known
Unaware how the ranks have grown
Driven on by a heart of stone" 
(Gilmour/Pink Floyd)

Take This Job and Shove It
I just found out that my company is being taken over, so my job for the next ~7-12 months (if I last that long), will be to put myself out of a job. Knowing me, I don't think that's going to happen. I still have enough Scot-Canadian labour movement pride left in me not to work myself out of a job so that some nameless, faceless ultra wealthy shareholders can realize cost-based "synergies". I don't feel sorry for myself either, because, I more than anyone, realize that I am certainly not the first, and I certainly will not be the last to be "synergized".

A Heart of Cold Stone
At this juncture, there are really just two types of thinking people (dear readers excepted), those who look around and willfully ignore the obvious exploitation and degrading poverty keeping people trapped in an endless loop of crushing mental and physical attrition. And the other type who see it and don't really give a damn, somehow constantly able to rationalize the 27% of government "dependents", who eventually became 37%, now at Romney's 47%, on the way to everyone. So many fucking lazy people ! Regardless, anyone with half a brain right now still not realizing the scope of this fiasco and the stunted self-interested mentality at the root cause of it, is not solving the problem, they are the fucking problem.

A Shrink-wrapped Society
The vast majority are not in either "thinking" category, being incapable of thinking about anything other than their next bag of Cheetos and the next episode of "My Teen is Pregnant and So Am I". Most are merely victims of relentless mental attrition and hence totally incapable of representing their own interests. They've been shrinkwrapped.

A "Cataclysmic" Event
Which raises the real question. Who is right in this equation? Is it an ever-dwindling set of skeptical bloggers tilting at the windmills of the new status quo? Or the masses at large fat and happy at home unknowingly defying every rule of commonsense and basic economics? The fact that I would even raise this question is a form of capitulation. Not to say I am the least bit less convicted about the outcome to this entire fiasco. However, my steadily-dwindling number of blog posts is a sign of mental fatigue. I am losing my will to battle against artificially stimulated manic melt-ups that seem to go on indefinitely. Leave no doubt, regardless of when it ends, it will be "cataclysmic" to use the ZH term.

Not A Level Playing Field
Beyond the obvious immorality of labour exploitation (here and abroad), the other real reason I could never find any peace with the status quo is because the playing field was not even close to being level. Clearly it's overwhelmingly tilted towards those who have already achieved a high degree of socioeconomic success. Tilted for a reason obviously - there is only so much to go around after all. But, a real man doesn't seek advantage at another man's expense. The hardest working people, who happen to reside at the bottom of this human exploitation machine, never had a chance to obtain a better standard of living. That is the inherent nature of any Ponzi Scheme.

For the successful man boys of this age who have enjoyed the unprecedented spoils deriving from their home run from third base, I hope you enjoyed the fun. 

This was always a zero sum game.