The signs of overwhelming social decay are ubiquitous, however the Idiocracy slept through history class and therefore can't recognize the point of recognition...
Below is the full cost of toxic waste euphemistically called "food" i.e. healthcare costs that are 2.5 times the OECD average and rising with each Big Gulp. Say what you want about "Obamacare", which doesn't even take full effect until 2014 - much of the cost differential shown below is really about an abject lack of personal responsibility (and a corrupt healthcare system, granted):
Pedophilia No Longer A Crime
The article of the day had to be this one indicating that no less than a Cardinal tells us that Pedophilia is not a crime, it's an inherited illness - this coming from a high ranking member of the world's largest church no less. Perhaps this purported "illness" could be better forgiven had it not been surreptitiously passed down from one nefarious generation of "god's helpers" to the next over the past thousand+ years. Hideous.
The Idiocracy is Too Stupid To Recognize Its Own Latent Collapse
1) Depletion of the Treasury - see debt clock
2) Strategic overreach i.e. troops in 140+ countries
3) Hubris aka. Faux News
4) Wars of military adventurism - see above
5) Debasing the Currency aka. "Quantitative Easing"
6) Financial engineering aka. Wall Street
7) Competitive decline aka. mass outsourcing and recurring trade deficits
8) Overriding consumption - see Total Debt
9) Stagnant R&D - see "Saturn V to iPhone V"
10) Energy shortage - see "WTF?"
All of this is just another way of saying that the full force of the decline, having not been recognized in advance, will be swift and brutal and come seemingly out of the blue for a society preoccupied with Reality TV and otherwise gazing at its own navel.
Put a fork in it already.